Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! Food, food, food!
No, I am not ashamed of the fact that I looooveeee to eat! Potatoes, gravy, mac & cheese, and alllll the desserts.
But of course I try to take care of myself and add in plenty of vegetables.
This is one of my favorite healthy side dishes to make for Thanksgiving. Easy and delicious!!
- 1 pound carrots, sliced into about 1 inch pieces
- 4 medium beets
- 2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp thyme
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl combine the balsamic vinegar, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon zest and thyme.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and set aside.
- Wrap the beets tightly in aluminum foil and set aside.
- Line a large baking sheet with 2 pieces of aluminum foil.
- Place the beets on one piece of foil.
- Place the carrots and onions on another piece of foil.
- Drizzle the carrots and onions with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven.
- Bake the carrots for 30-35 minutes or until tender.
- Bake the beets for 50-60 minutes or until easily pierced with a knife.
- Let the beets cool for a bit, then peel the beets and dice into about 1 inch pieces.
- Add the carrots, onions and beets in a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil mixture and toss to combine.
- Taste and season with more salt or black pepper if necessary.
What do you think? Will your Thanksgiving guests enjoy this dish?